What do you drink with your steak?
- Red wine is the traditional favourite to drink alongside a meaty steak. Drink a full-bodied red wine with steak if you’re enjoying yours cooked without too many adornments – sauce, butter, etc. The properties of the red wine will help to get the best out of your steak without interfering with the flavour.
- It’s all about balance. A good tip to remember is that red wine tannins + red meat protein = heavenly taste. The fatty protein in the meat helps balance the sharper tannins, making for a perfectly balanced meal. So, if your steak is on the fattier side, your wine should be full-bodied, and if your steak is lean, then go for something a little lighter.
- White wines can work with steak too, and a nice dry wine can really make the rich taste of a sizzling steak sing. A nice rosé can also help strike a good balance.
- Beer and steak? It’s a no-brainer. Sometimes there’s nothing better than washing down a big t-bone steak with a frothy pint of ale or lager. For a more relaxed take on dinner, this is a great option.
- Don’t drink? The sweetness and fizz of a soft drink can also be a great accompaniment to your meal, as can a refreshing mineral water or fruit juice.